“And a thousand years from now man will still be sighing, ‘Oh, life is hard.’ And yet at the same time he’ll be just as afraid of death as he is down, he’ll be just as reluctant to die.”
That’s right, have an early morning Chekov in your face. This is partly a relevant quotation to the rest of the post and partly proof that I’m banging through Three Sisters like a good boy. However, that’s only page 34 so not quite as much as I should’ve. I ditched one of my pure joys in life, playing football for Racing, in order to read it but ended up writing a vague, not particularly useful pitch document instead.
With the feedback from the other Write to Shiners on hand, I started rewriting Free Fall. Most urgently, I cleared up Andrea’s reasons for her attempted jump. It’s now closer to what I originally envisaged, which is that she’d accomplished everything she wanted in life (had a happy child) and to search for another goal seemed perverse, selfish and somewhat cowardly. A decision born of stoicism, not grief.
See, that’s the problem with having a finite goal – you’re blown once you’ve got there, casting around for something else to do (gardening, in most peoples cases). Best to be as non-specific as possible, I figure. Here are a few selected “life aims” gleaned from various points of my 25 years:
– I want the life of every person who meets me to be better than before they did.
– I want to be a paleontologist, go to exotic lands and discover gigantic fossils (standard).
– I want to open a restaurant with my sister, with a menu made entirely of my favourite food.
– I want to form a band with my sister, call it “The Magics” and become famous by playing the same four chords on the keyboard. (Clearly Oasis inspired)
– I want to form a band with my friends, call it something stupid and become famous by playing the same four notes on the bass.
– I want to live, to love, to learn.
– I want to be an international airline pilot.
– I want to live in the middle of the Amazon rainforest.
– I want to be one of the finest solicitors this country has ever produced, EVER.
– I want to be one of the finest film directors this country has ever produced, EVER.
– I want to be one of the finest writers this country has ever produced, EVER.
– I want to live in a cosy house with a lovely, artsy wife and a kid who I’ll spend a lot of time with. We’ll make our own wine and go hiking on weekends.
– I want to get drunk, dance with hot women and make an obscene of money. Revel in the sheer gluttenous horror.
P.S. How the hell are we in March already?! Gotta get cracking.
P.S.S. Some similarities between Three Sisters and Punch-Drunk Love. Superficially. A little bit. Oh alright, I just wanted to sound clever….